Have you ever had those meals, where the second you walk through the restaurants door you just kind of know that the meal and night was going to suck? You have the incredible urge to turn around and eat somewhere else, but you don't want to look like some weirdo, so you stay, only to regret it later?
That was what ended a wonderful date night for my love and I.
We never get to go on dates. Ever. Having vacation with so many family members we decided to take advantage of the situation and get our date on!! We started off with a movie. We chose Grown Ups. Despite the bad reviews we loved it! For the most part it was family friendly, and HILARIOUS. I think the majority of the inappropriate innuendos would go over young children's head anyway, and I think there is enough child-like humor for the kiddo's to crack up right along with us. Anyway, we loved it. We laughed a lot, and held hands, and it was great. :)
After the movie, we did something totally un-date like and went shoe shopping for 2/3 of the kiddos. Sure it could have waited, and it kinda killed the romance, but it was actually really nice to shop sans kids.
It took us an hour to buy two pairs of shoes. An hour. By the time we got back to the car I was ready for a relaxing dinner, some delicious food to hold hands and talk over. We chose Chili's. It's a fave of ours so we figured we couldn't go wrong.
We were sadly, sadly mistaken.
The thing is, we KNEW we were going to be in for it the moment we walked through the doors, but for SOME asinine reason we stayed. Mr. Oh-So-Cool Ass Bag host had to "find us" a table, even though half of the place was empty. Then he seats us at a table for 6. There are only two of us, and to top it off, the table was filthy. There's 2 strikes there. (Dirty table, rude host. I won't count the 6 person table as a strike.) We order our drinks, mine being my fave mango margarita, and wait for the waiter to come back to take our appetizer order. (He literally ran away after taking our drink order, without waiting to see if we wanted an appetizer.)
When we finally received our drinks, my watery margarita had chunks of mango floating in it. I could look past it. sure. I didn't want to seems like one of those customers. We order our appetizer, and meals and hope for the best. About a half an hour later, YES I said HALF AN HOUR later, our appetizer arrives. Someone, other than our waiter brings the plate of food, along with an apology. "We are so sorry it took so long, there is not excuse." And walks away.
We continue on, eating our appetizer. We find some unidentified object in our boneless buffalo wings, and some sort of onion skin glob in our spinach & artichoke dip. This, in my book, is STRIKE 5. (Watery, floaty margarita, and LATE ASS appetizer being 3&4)
Our meal hasn't even arrived and we're already at strike 5.
Several times, even before our appetizer arrived I considered paying for our drinks and leaving. I wish we had.
Our food finally arrives, and somehow I am able to stomach it. It was the only "okay" thing about our entire experience.
We receive our bill, and I am more than a little peeved to see that we are charged for the appetizer. Maybe we should have complained more. Without arguing we pay our tab, and get the hell out of there. We even payed with cash so we could just leave without having to wait for our card to be charged.
I made it to the car before dinner decided to make a surprise reappearance. All over their parking lot.
Yes, I threw up my entire meal. In the parking lot. In front of passing cars, and people.
"THAT", I said, "is for the late appetizer." *
*No, I honestly didn't throw up on purpose. But I wasn't DARE going to feel guilty for puking in their parking lot.

2 comments:
We visited Chili's in our area during Memorial Day weekend and I wasn't very happy either. Perhaps they have lowered their standards of quality?
So sorry that your date night ended on such a bad note.
I ate at a Chili's in Iowa a few weeks ago and it was not as good as I remembered either. Who knows what's going on?
Happy 4th!
Post a Comment