Friday Flashback

Third grade had to have been one of my most embarrassing years. It wasn't embarrassing at the time, but it's my most embarrassing time to tell people about. So naturally I have to blog about it.

Third grade was not a good year for me beauty wise. I had a perm that didn't hold, so it was more like a half-perm wannabe, glasses I didn't really need, but wanted probably because a friend of mind had them. I had a horrible gap between my two big front teeth. It was definitely an awkward year for me to say the least. I wish I had a pic to show, but I'll just do my best to draw the third grade Brianne.






One of the biggest things to happen while in third grade was Jurassic Park. That movie was the movie of all movies. Because it was rated PG-13 and all, I wasn't allowed to watch it, but those previews looked sooooo cool! So I did the next best thing and read the book. (Which doesn't make sense to me, why would my mom let me read the book, written for adults, by an adult, but not let me watch the movie? I mean the book was more graphic, with the little dino's eating babies faces and such....) Anway, I was a dinosaur FaREAK! For reals. I had a Jurassic Park everything. A lunchbox, the comforter, a pencil case...I wanted to be a paleontologist, and I knew it ALL about dinosaurs. I dreamed about dinosaurs, I played "Jurassic Park" with my friends, I was obsessed!

So what so embarrassing? You ask?

Well besides the horrible hair, teeth, and glasses, it was the Jurassic Park stuff that was so embarrassing! I.E. for Halloween, what did I dress up as? A paleontologist from Jurassic Park. I think I was going for the Dr. Grant look, but it really came out more of a crocodile hunter look. I put on my most dig-up-dinosaurish clothes, and rubbed dirt on my clothes and face. I think I also had some sort of hat. Not a cool Dr. Grant/Indian Jones hat either, it was like one of my mom's or something. ANYway, let me just tell you, if people have to ask what you are dressed up as, then you kinda failed at the whole dress-up thing. Don't ya think? (In my defense, my mom was anti-Halloween, and I'm pretty lucky I got to dress up and go trick-or-treating at all, in fact this is my one and only trick-or-treating memory I have have.....)



Then came my birthday. Of course I had to have a Jurassic Park birthday! We had the plates, and napkins, and I just HAD to wear my paleontologist digs. We had "Dinosaur Eggs" (pigs in a blanket), had green hi-c (they don't make it anymore, and I'm pretty sure it's because it was toxic...and I'm not sure what my mom called it, but I'm sure it was dinosaury....), oh and we went on a "dinosaur hunt" in my backyard with maps and everything. I'm not positive but I think I had some sort of dinosaur cake. And if I didn't that was major fail on mom's part. I wish I had pics, but all I have are sketchy memories. *sigh*

Hands down best part of my third grade year? My sister and I went to the movies with our aunt and uncle. Well because I wasn't allowed, I had to go see a different movie with my uncle while my sister got to see Jurassic Park. (sobs) Anywho, because we were watching some kiddy movie, (not sure what it was, it could have been flubber, but I'd have to see when flubber came out, and I really just don't know....) our movie ended before Jurassic Park. So we got to go sit in on the end of the movie!!!! I mean! OH. MY. DARN IT!! I remember vividly those beautiful velociraptors up on the big screen. Oh sweet success!! I think seeing the tale end of the movie just made me THAT much more obsessed.

I'm not sure when, or why mom finally caved and let me watch the movie. Maybe she read the book and was "oh my crap! what have i done?!", but either way, we bought that movie, and I watched it over, and over, and over again. In fact somewhere I still have that VHS tape. I have sense bought the entire Jurassic Park movie collection on DVD, and then will of course have to buy it on blu ray, and I have passed on the love of dinosaurs to my boy, who knows more about them then I ever did, and knows more then anyone else I've ever met.

I know longer have any other dino paraphernalia, other than the old VHS, but I wish I did. Especially my Super NES Jurassic Park game. That game was SO rad!! I don't think I ever got passed any levels, or was very good at it, but it was probably because I was so scared that raptors were gonna fly at me at any moment. (Which they did, and it scared me so therefore I was very skittish when playing the game.)

Anywho, there's a recap on my third grade year.

{PS} Other things I remember about my third grade year:
Teacher: Mrs. Batterman
Best Friends: Mary Doran, Krista Bondurant, Sarah Clifford
Crush: James
Sports: Horseback Vaulting and Soccer

(And yes, I will have to blog one day about the horseback vaulting....)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...